Monday, July 15, 2013

"I think about every little kid in El Salvador has touched the nozzle of my Camelback." July 15, 2013

That's all great news! First off I wanna start off by saying we have three people getting baptized!! 2 on July 28 and one on Agosto 5. And we're about to get two more! A story about the other ones that we will baptize. Their names are Gloria and Alfredo Tenas. We met them like 4 days ago. We were there last night and Gloria started telling us about her dream she had. About a week before I got to El Salvador Gloria said she was praying about if she should keep attending her church cause she didn't like it that much. But that night she had a dream and she said I was in it. Standing in my mission clothes, saying vamonos, or let's go! So crazy! I know I was sent here for a reason now!
 
But El Salvador is wild, we rode to our area in the back of a truck just hanging out. My comp is Elder Ayala, he's from Peru! He's way cool!! He cooks for me all the time and knows a lot! We walk about 7-8 miles a day, so not tooo bad. Showers are freezing here but it's fine cause it's pretty hot! Stray dogs everywhere and I hate them, they always follow you or bark at you, so you just fake like you're going to hit them. But Salvador isn't as dangerous as it seems, there is lots of gangsters but they don't mess with us, the worst thing I've seen was these two guys swearing at each other (yes I know Spanish swear words from high school) and one guy had a hammer and the other guy had two huge rocks in both hands but they were getting held back, so nothing happened. And it's funny, we aren't supposed to witness crimes, because president's wife told us that snitches get stitches! Ha so funny.
 
The first night we had dinner at president's house, it was way good and their house is really nice for Salvador. The family is way cool, and president is great too. A little strict, but way good. We have different rules than other missionaries, we have to be up at 6 and we only get 45 minutes to write instead of 1 hour. It's good though. We are pretty beat at the end of days because a lot of houses don't have chairs or couches so we will stand or sit on the floor. Everyone here is so poor, it's sad. The other day I used at twenty at the super market and it was like a hundred, she had to get her manager to come open the register and what not. Our lunch when we eat out is 1.50 and pupusas here are like 25-30 cents. Last night members cooked for us.... sooooo good. Oh and the other day I got a Fanta, they gave it to me in a plastic bag with a straw haha.
 
But our first baptismal commit was great, felt so good. Funny story about this, in the final prayer with the family I blessed a different family. Haha but this place is great, so dirty and poor, but awesome. I think about every little kid in Salvador has touched the nozzle of my camelback. I don't know how I haven't gotten sick. Actually I do, because the Lord blesses us. Peace and love.
Elder Tanner

p.s.
I live in a place called Colonial España! Try and look it up. We played soccer this morning and I had two goals! No biggie! Oh and a member of the bishopric always comes up to me and says what's up nigga? Haha it's so funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment